Matthew 10:7-8

"And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."

Thursday, September 16, 2010

ACTS OF RANDOM KINDNESS

In the movie "Evan Almighty" Morgan Freemon, who plays God, says something like "How do you change the world? One act of random kindness at a time." I've been thinking about that line quite a bit the last couple of days. While there is no verse that contains that exact phrase, I think the Bible teaches that concept and bears truth to that statement. I talk an awful lot on here about how God is bringing change to our nations and communities and how we should be doing the things of the kingdom more than we do. However, no matter what we do through Christ, even if its of a miraculous nature, it will mean nothing if we don't have compassion on those needing compassion or love those in need of love. I love (pun intended) how the chapter on love in 1 Corinthians falls right in between two chapters that talk of the spiritual gifts. I love (more pun intended) learning about and operating within the spiritual gifts, but Paul teaches that if I don't love my fellow man it all goes for naught.

I was sent the link to a blog the other day which way overshadows anything that I have ever said here, because it represents what I feel is one of God's biggest concerns and commands when it comes to people, if not the biggest. The concern for the poor and less fortunate along with the command that we need to be taking care of them and loving them. I could give you scripture after scripture, both old and new testament, where we are told either by God, or by Jesus, that we are to take care of the poor. You should check out all the verses on the subject because I think you would be amazed at how many there are. God even tells the Israelites to leave behind some of the produce of their fields and vineyards for the poor.

For me there is nothing that tears at my heart more than to hear of children in need due to do death of parent, malnutrition, sickness, disease, neglect, abuse and the list could go on. It's happening all around the world, in every nation and more than most would realize even here in the United States. In the case of this particular blog (I will include the link at the end, because I want you to be aware of these kids and then pray for them)is about children in Uganda and the struggles to start a school for them. I wouldn't do the website justice by trying to summarize all of the struggles and needs, so please check it out for yourself. Make sure you check out the pictures of the kids. My heart aches and I told Kay (my wife) the other night that I just want to go over there and love on them. I think I am going to have to finally get a passport, because I see something like that in the not too distant future.

So in my case it's these children that have recently touched my heart. I'm in the process of trying to find out how Kay and I can support them besides prayer. There are many other cases and examples of the less fortunate that need help though, too. There are so many of us that even if we are in need ourselves, can still find ways to help others. Even in these economic times we can't afford NOT to help someone less fortunate. If we really want to see the Kingdom show up we will do those acts of random kindness and even more. Remember Jesus came to serve others and not to be served. We should be following in His example.

I am reminded of a situation where a couple was getting married at the Bethel Church in Redding, Ca. The bride and groom had sent out buses into the neediest places in the city so that people in less than ideal living conditions could be their guests of honor. The couple had even registered at Target asking for things like coats, hats, gloves and even sleeping bags to be given as gifts to their guests, instead of gifts for themselves. After the ceremony the meal was also prepared to feed their special guests. Pastor Bill Johnson wrote, "In our pre-wedding meeting the bride and groom encouraged me to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit in case He wanted to heal people during the wedding. They had created far too great a miracle opportunity for God not to do something extraordinary." God honored that bride and groom and He did move in a mighty way and healed a man that had been given a maximum of three years to live.

Have you ever thought about giving something up in order to help someone else? This year Kay and I did a lot of cutting back. One thing that gets easier and easier to live without is cable tv. That is just one thing. Sure one day I would like to have cable or satellite back so I can watch Andy Griffith reruns and sports, but I'll tell you one thing for sure. If we aren't helping others financially like these kids in Uganda first, there is no way it will ever come into this house, or any other again. Most of us who live in the U.S. have no idea what it really means to be in need. That's why I want you to take a look at the following link. Let's be people who create those opportunities so that God just wants to show up.

http://geriafrica.blogspot.com/

Make sure you check out the Michael W. Smith video following this post and feel God's heartbeat for His most prized creation!

In His Love,
Mark S.

No comments:

Post a Comment