Matthew 10:7-8

"And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."

Sunday, January 8, 2012

THE AROMA OF CHRIST

THEN ONE OF THE PHARISEES ASKED HIM TO EAT WITH HIM. AND HE WENT TO THE PHARISEES HOUSE AND SAT DOWN TO EAT. AND BEHOLD, A WOMAN WHO WAS IN THE CITY AND WAS A SINNER, WHEN SHE KNEW THAT JESUS SAT AT THE TABLE IN THE PHARISEES HOUSE, BOUGHT AN ALABASTER FLASK OF FRAGRANT OIL, AND STOOD AT HIS FEET BEHIND HIM WEEPING; AND SHE BEGAN TO WASH HIS FEET WITH HER TEARS, AND WIPED THEM WITH THE HAIR OF HER HEAD, AND SHE KISSED HIS FEET AND ANOINTED THEM WITH FRAGRANT OIL. NOW WHEN THE PHARISEE WHO HAD INVITED HIM SAW THIS HE SPOKE TO HIMSELF, SAYING, "THIS MAN, IF HE WERE A PROPHET WOULD KNOW WHO AND OF WHAT MANNER OF WOMAN THIS IS WHO IS TOUCHING HIM, FOR SHE IS A SINNER." AND JESUS ANSWERED AND SAID TO HIM, "SIMON, I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU."....................(Luke 7:36-40)

For me this is one of the most beautiful passages in the Bible. If you read on Jesus goes on to tell a parable which, as always, puts the ones with the judgmental attitude in their place. Jesus points out that when He entered Simon's house he wasn't given water to wash His feet, was not greeted with a kiss and did not receive an anointing of any kind. Jesus then points out beautifully how this woman, who had many sins, had washed his feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair; how she not only anointed His feet with fragrant oil, but also never ceased in kissing them. Truly this woman was loving and worshiping Jesus not only outwardly, but inwardly, as well. I can almost hear the love in Jesus voice when He looked at her telling her, "Your sins are forgiven you." He then told her that her faith had saved her and to go in peace. I encourage you to go to the Bible and read the entire account for yourself.

I've already mentioned how much I have always enjoyed this passage, but recently I heard Bill Johnson teach on it which caused a real burning within me. Bill spoke of how when the woman left the house, not only were her sins completely forgiven, but she that house smelling just like Jesus. She had on His fragrance. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want that aroma. Do you remember another passage in the Bible when people perceived and realized that Peter and John "had been with Jesus?" What a marvelous thing. There is a longing in my heart that after I've been around someone that they would have be able to say the same thing about me. To carry with me the aroma of the Lord.

It is very possible you know. Several years ago my wife and I were eating in a small restaurant in Elyria, Ohio. A police officer walked in and was simply looking at people. I was watching him do this and I could just tell by the expression on his face and the look in his eyes that he was different. He carried with him a look of compassion and kindness. I looked over at Kay and said, "I'll bet that cop is a Christian." We then blessed our food and thanked the Lord for it. When we finished praying I opened my eyes and there was the police officer standing right by our table. He told us how much he appreciated us praying in public for our food. I then spoke of how I could tell that he was a Christian as soon as he came in. We talked for a few minutes about the Lord and then he left. It was amazing. I'm still not sure why he had walked in. He didn't get anything to eat and only spoke with us. Maybe God set that whole thing up so I could later encourage you by telling you about it! Those amazing divine appointments!

I don't make any New Year's resolutions, but the last two years God has showed me right after the New Year what He wants me to work on over the next 12 months. Last year I was challenged with really learning to love people the way that Jesus did. Believe me that is easier said that done. There was more than one time when I realized how difficult it was to really "turn the other cheek." Only a few days ago the Lord revealed to me this years project and that is to learn how to have on the aroma of Jesus at all times.

Is that the fragrance of Christ that I can smell on you?

But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ's triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life. And who is equal to such a task? Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God. (2 Corinthians 2:14-17)

Blessing you in the name of Jesus,
Mark S.

1 comment:

  1. wow! i always have the desire to carry the scent of jesus. its such a powerful prayer to invite him so intimately, that only you smell his sweet presence, but that others are aware of it as it lingers on you:)

    lord, we declare deeper intimacy with you in 2012! we welcome your presence into every moment of our lives. we speak life to those around us, that their hearts would truly be awakened as your aroma seeps from our hearts!

    ReplyDelete