Matthew 10:7-8

"And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

DESPERATION

This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe
Your Holy presence, living in me

This is my daily bread,
This is my daily bread,
Your very Word, spoken to me

And I, I'm desperate for You
And I, I'm lost without You



..............and the words that were penned by Marie Barnett are repeated again. A song that has been made famous by more than one and often sets the tone for a worship experience with God that becomes incredible. If you haven't heard it, you will have the chance to following this writing. I've even made sure that my children are well aware that beautiful worship song is to be included at my funeral service one day.

For those of us familiar with this anthem, we have probably heard it, or sang it countless times. Tonight (for it is night and all is quiet around me as I pour out my thoughts) I feel the Lord wanting us to be challenged by truthfulness. For often when we sing these words, we do mouth them with sincerity, but in reality we are singing a sincere fairytale. Think about some of those words. THIS IS THE AIR I BREATHE. I'M LOST WITHOUT YOU. I'M DESPERATE FOR YOU. Is God as important to you as the air you breathe? Breath brings life and without it we can't live. Can you stop and think about that for one minute? I'm being serious.

I hope you stopped.

I have an admission to make to you. I've lived most of my life NOT being desperate for God, thankfully God's kindness kept teaching. If I had lived my life really desperate for God I wouldn't have spent so much time stressing about life's problems. How much wasted time there was stressing about finances, or lack of. How will these bills get paid? Sleepless nights with worry over how to pay for a vehicle that wasn't running. Less time would have been spent watching sports, television in general. When Kay and I had a bad argument, instead of driving around for hours or not talking, I would have gotten on my knees and said, "God help us. We need You right now. Come fix us." The time I would spend trying to justify myself in personality conflicts or trying to figure out on my own how to make my way through the pressures of job performance. The stresses that life brings in general. How about addictions? Believe me if I shared much more it would be way too much information. All of the things that I just mentioned were AFTER I developed a relationship with Jesus. Is that sad or what?

Those things sound familiar?

Those are things that push us down and keep us from our full potential. We give so much time to those things which is exactly what satan wants. They keep us from time with God. I decided awhile ago that I am finished with that way. I am not boasting and there is no pride in me with what I am about to say, but with my wife as my biggest witness here on this earth, Jesus has become the air I breathe. He is my source and my strength. He is more important than where I live, where I work or don't work. He is more important than the money I either have or don't have. He is above all relationships and He is life itself to me. Even if I forfeit my physical life, I gain eternity with Him.

Now let me tell you something else. Just because my relationship with the Lord has grown strong and deep, hasn't taken away all those issues of life. My closest friends could tell you that even this summer I have gone through some incredible times of faith testing where certain issues have tried to take me under. But they haven't and they won't. I have learned that when I feel the fire then it's time to drop to my knees and proclaim, "God I love You. No matter what I am facing, I will trust in You. My relationship with You will not be shaken. You are my Dad and I am your boy. I need Your strength. Provide. Keep my family close. You are my everlasting God. Release me from the heaviness of this thing that has come upon me." I've learned that when I am desperate for God and desperate enough to give that stuff to God, that life remains good. The freedom that God grants in those times is most amazing.

Why do I allow you to see into some of my personal life? It's to let you know that you are no different than me. I am no better than you. We share the same ability to either bless God, or curse God when bad stuff happens. I share personal things with you to encourage you. If you aren't desperate for God, if other things in life get more time than Him, begin to change. Even just little by little. One thing at a time. For I promise you, I promise you, I promise you; God wants to bless your life and take care of you in ways that you could never imagine. You may not see it overnight, or in a week, or maybe even over months, but you will see it begin to happen. Sometimes we need a little time to prove to ourselves and to even show the Lord that we are serious about changes.

Even though God deserves our adoration simply because He is God, He doesn't operate like that. He loves, He gives and He loves to be around us. He will rejoice over you with gladness. He will quiet you with His love. (IF you let Him. That is the only condition) He will even dance with joy over you with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17) When God sees someone with a heart who is loyal to Him, He WILL show Himself strong on their behalf. (2 Chronicles 16:9) God isn't in it just for Him, otherwise He wouldn't have created you! Do a Bible search using the phrase "love the Lord your God" and find the many benefits that are returned. It is incredible what God has planned for our lives when we seek and love Him first. You no longer need to carry the pressures of life. There is ONE who wants to carry them for you.

Now, if you are a brother or sister in Christ reading this and you know the unexplainable thrill of being desperate for God, what is there to be said other than, "WOW?" It is amazing. What a great, great adventure and that is an understatement. To you I encourage you to keep on keeping on. The ultimate Prize just keeps getting closer and closer and the privilege to do the stuff now and to walk in the kingdom of a King is incredible. Let's keep lifting each other up and if for any reason you feel you could stumble or get tired for awhile, let me know and I'll pray for you. That's what a brother is for! Together with Jesus we will carry on through!

Oh, and before you go, lets listen to Marie Barnett together and commit to living these words like never before. I'm desperate for You, I'm lost without You..................

(Don't forget, if the instrumental music is play, you will need to pause the mixpod on the right hand side of the screen.)


With a heart beating for God,
Mark S.
askmatt@piratesmvp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment