Matthew 10:7-8

"And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

SHADOWS and DRAINS.... AND BABY YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET

I SPREAD OUT MY HANDS TO YOU; MY SOUL LONGS FOR YOU LIKE A THIRSTY LAND. Selah (Psalm 143:6)

AS THE DEER PANTS FOR THE WATER BROOKS,SO PANTS MY SOUL FOR YOU, O GOD (Psalm 42:1)



We were already having another sweet time of worship at church on Sunday when the praise team broke into the song that I have embedded above. This particular version by the Jesus Culture is the one we were doing on Sunday. Two things happened to me almost at the same time. I had been sensing God’s Spirit already moving around the room, but then I began to sense Him inside of me, to the point that I didn’t know if my very being could handle any more of the glory if was feeling. The thought has since occurred to me that we should be sensing God’s glory like that a whole lot more than what we do. I mean think about it. We have become dwelling places where the Holy Spirit chooses to abide. The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is inside of us. How can we walk around (and I include myself) so matter of fact all the time when we have this kind of power inside of us? There have been several times this year, usually in a time of worship, where I have seriously said to the Lord, “God, I don’t think my body can contain any more of Your glory without exploding." It’s pretty intense, but yet I want to keep seeing how much I can handle. Friend, I believe that if we remember on a daily basis what kind of power we are walking around with not only will we continue to be changed, but people around us will be affected, too.

The apostle Peter had to be aware of this great power as he walked around everyday. Is it any wonder why people were wanting so badly for even Peter’s shadow to fall on them? Peter understood the kind of power that was living inside of him, but yet Peter understood how to allow that power to leak out onto others. What a glorious mystery of the living God. The Holy Spirit wants to live inside of us, but yet He wants us to let Him out. Figure that one out!!!! Only God can do such a thing. So here we have people being healed just by being in the presence of Peter. Amazing! Acts 15-16 “….so they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them. Also a multitude gathered from the surrounding cities to Jerusalem, bringing sick people and those who were tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all healed.” The power that came from Peter was not of Peter, it was the power of the almighty God living inside of Peter!

Simple question. When we encounter people in the store and on the street, why are we not expecting them to have an encounter with the living God? I refuse to NOT expect the miraculous to happen when I come in contact with people. Not because of me, but because of God in me.

Suddenly, I am finding myself with some pretty bold thoughts that want to trickle through these finger tips tapping this keyboard and I am now desperately asking the Holy Spirit for wisdom and temperance. My heart is pounding at the thoughts in my head and I'm asking God what to do.....should I with hold or not?

....but yet here goes....anything that is not of God may it fall off...........

.............Is it any wonder why so many churches in America and in the United Kingdom are dying, and yet churches in third world countries are thriving and growing with people who are desperate for this Jesus that they are hearing about? This Jesus that saves, heals and who went about doing good and healing all who are oppressed of the devil!! Meanwhile so many of our churches are more into playing church politics and "we don't do that" self righteous attitudes rather than wanting or allowing people to see the glory and power of a miraculous, living and kingdom building God. So many of us continuing to live defeated lives everyday and then we wonder why people aren't excited about the possibility of becoming a Christian. May God forgive us and may we begin again.

Now........let me try to get back to Sunday. As that worship song transitioned into "Let it Rain," the second thing that happened was a vision of a drain. It was a drain on a filthy street. I had a sense that it was a street that still had on it all the dried salt and sludge after a long winter. The road was being washed by a steady, but gentle shower and I saw the filth being washed down that drain. God was showing me that while our church family was lost in worship, that He was washing the filth of the week off of us. Some of that filth was a result of some playing around in places where a child of God should not play. Some of the filth was sickness, disease and things that were causing bodies to experience pain or weakness. God was washing us. Showering us. Cleaning us up so that we were ready to face the days of the week ahead. He was sheltering us and restoring us so that we could better face the things of a troubled world.

If you haven't already, listen to that song.

God was doing that for us, just as He is doing that for you right now. You have fallen into the hands of the living God. It is fearful and yet glorious at the same time. It is life changing.

Now go change your world!

"......then the Lord will create above every dwelling place of Mount Zion, and above her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day and the shining of a flaming fire by night. For over all the glory there will be a covering. And there will be a tabernacle for shade in the daytime from the heat, and for a shelter from storm and rain." Isaiah 4:5-6

A friend who is your brother,
Mark S.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Mark!! You write the truth! Who can argue this?!

    ReplyDelete